Speech & Language Therapist Training

Candidate Support Home   
More in career-advice

Entry Requirements to train as a Speech and Language Therapist:
To practise as a speech and language therapist (SLT) you must be registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). The minimum academic entry requirements for approved degree programmes in speech and language therapy include: a minimum of five GCSEs passes (or equivalent) and two ‘A’ levels. Most speech and language therapy students will do a three or four year full-time degree or honours degree course.

If your degree is in a subject other than speech and language therapy, you must undertake an HCPC-approved two-year postgraduate course in order to qualify. For entry onto a degree course, you will usually need to have done some voluntary work to gain an understanding of the role.

Universities and colleges in the UK offering approved speech and language therapy courses, include:

  • Birmingham City University
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
  • Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
  • University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
  • Leeds Metropolitan University
  • DeMontfort University, Leicester
  • City University London
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
  • University of East Anglia
  • University of St Mark & St John, Plymouth
  • University of Reading
  • University of Sheffield
  • University of Ulster
  • University of Essex

Existing Workforce
The Health Professions Council (HPC, 2011) census for September 2010 shows that there were 10,033 headcount (HC) speech and language therapists registered in England (HPC, 2011). Speech and language therapists are a relatively young workforce those in the 25–34 age group accounting for approximately 40 per cent of the workforce.

Registration of speech and language therapists with the HPC has increased by 44 per cent in the last 10 years (HPC, 2011).

The speech and language therapy workforce has a key role to play in training and supporting health and social care workers to be able to effectively communicate with and make adjustments for people with speech, language and communication needs.