Occupational Therapist (OT) - North London
Length: Full Time
The Senior SLT is responsible for the delivery of effective Speech and Language Therapy services for vulnerable adults residing in community rehabilitation units, residential and supported living services who present with learning disabilities and complex needs.
To assist Clinical Lead SLT in delivering training programmes to MDT in order to ensure competency in working with patients who have communication and or swallowing difficulties.
The Senior SLT (Band 6) will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, as an autonomous professional according to the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapy 'Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct' and the ' Health Professions Council Regulations'.
* Assess, treat and manage service users with communication and swallowing difficulties
* Manage a caseload of service users with varying diagnosis and complex needs, using evidence based client centred principles.
* Ensure development of junior staff through supervision, training and contribution to annual appraisal.
* Participate in the planning, development and evaluation of clinical practice and service development within the area of Learning disabilities.
* Contribute to maintenance and development of the SLT service.
* Participate in information management to ensure high quality data which is recorded, evaluated & reported in a timely manner.
* To support with the dysphagia caseload and train staff to raise awareness of dysphagia management in Learning Disabilities.
* Ensuring the client understands and agrees to the treatment plan giving consent to it, in accordance with the current relevant legislation.
* Independently managing and prioritising the SLT case load.
* Utilising clinical reasoning to select appropriate assessment techniques which lead you to identify the client's communication strengths and needs.
* To agree appropriate and realistic goals for treatment with the client and so produce a comprehensive treatment plan in order to achieve these goals.
* Planning, implementing and evaluating appropriate therapy intervention to meet needs of clients on personal caseload.
* Recommending and introducing high and low tech communication systems and resources to advance the communication of clients on unit.
* Delivering group and individual therapy sessions as required.
* Identifying changes in client's needs and suggest reasons for this to relevant professionals.
* Liaising effectively with other health care professionals and external agencies to support the client's treatment plan.
* Supporting the transfer and discharge of clients on SLT caseload.
* Maintain up to date clinical records, and to write timely reports and correspondence reflecting specialist knowledge in line with RCSLT professional standards.
* Providing high quality service to service users as an integral part of the multi-disciplinary team. This includes providing detailed written Therapy management plans and session plans with client centred goals, as well as Dysphagia and communication reports following assessment.
* To be professional, legally responsible and accountable for all aspects of own work and activities.
* Work as an integral part of the multidisciplinary team, contributing to team discussions and influencing decisions about patient care programmes.
* Act as a resource for colleagues, providing specialist advice and training regarding Learning disabilities, Autism and associated challenging behaviour as well as mental health conditions, to SLT's and other health professionals within the organisation and externally as required.
* Provide specialist advice, teaching and training to other members of the MDT management and support staff, regarding the SLT management of service users with swallowing disorders.
Tel: 0207 614 4260
Cordant Group is an equal opportunities employer
SLT, Speech & Language Therapist
Apply for this job